Many years ago, in Costa Rica, there was this fun lunch spot that served fresh baked bagels, pastries and delicious salads and soups. I was a frequent client especially during my college years!
One of my favorite things to get was a bagel sandwich with a tangy cheese spread that was rich and salty. They served the sandwich with alfalfa sprouts and a tomato slices. I can’t even tell you how freaking delicious this was! It was THE perfect lunch sandwich!
The place closed many years ago, but the flavors of that cheese spread have definitely stuck with me. I think about it often. That is why I decided to start testing different versions until I found the one I liked the best. So here you go!
This is my version of Bagelmen’s cheese spread! I would describe this cheese spread as a take on the classic southern pimento cheese served in the south. The only difference is I do not add any pimento or spices to it.
This cheese spread is spicy and creamy. I like grating the cheeses super fine and incorporate them with cream cheese and a little butter to help the mixture spread a little bit easier.
Let’s go, this is how I make my Spicy Cheese Spread:
Start by grating the cheeses using the finest part of the grater.
Tip! By grating the cheeses so finely, it allows them to mix easily and get fully incorporated with the rest of the ingredients.
After the cheeses are grated, place the cheese mixture into a large bowl.
Add the soften butter, the soften cheese cheese and the chives.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Mix all the ingredients until well incorporated.
Tip! You can refrigerate the cheese spread and it will last up to a week in an air tight container.
This spread is perfect for sandwiches, or just simply with crackers.
- 1 large bowl
- box grater
- 8 oz block pepper jack cheese use habanero cheese if you prefer spicier
- 4 oz block colby jack cheese
- 4 oz room temperature cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by grating the cheeses using the finest part of the grater.
- After the cheeses are grated, place the cheese mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the soften butter, the soften cheese cheese and the chives.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients until well incorporated.
- Serve cheese spread with crackers or spread in a sandwich.