Power balls or energy balls are the perfect little pick me up. These are ridiculously easy to make, and the best thing about this recipe is that most of the ingredients are interchangeable. If you don’t care for cashews you can use macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, whatever you like.
The dates give the mixture the ability to stick together, and they also make them sweet. I like to add chia seeds and flax seed meal. Oats also help make these treats be more substantial.
To make these cashew energy balls, it takes no time at all! All you need is a food processor to do the job for you.
This is how I made these Cashew Energy Balls:
In a food processor with the large blade attachment, add the dates, chia seeds, flax meal, oats and honey. Pulse 8-10 times until all the dates and cashews are chopped up. Don’t worry about the pieces being perfectly even. I like the texture even better when there are both small and large pieces.
Check to see how the consistency of the mixture looks. It should look like this if you hold it in your fingers:
Put the top of the food processor back on and keep it running. While it’s running, pour the water through the feeding slot and watch the whole mixture come together.
The bottom of the food processor will show the mixture sticking. That is when you know it’s done! Take some of the mixture and press it with your fingers. It should stick together effortlessly.
Pour the mixture into a bowl and using a small ice cream scooper start scooping out the mixture on to a plate.
Tip! To help the mixture come out of the scooper easily, I like to spray the ice cream scooper with a little nonstick spray.
Once all the mixture has been scooped out, it time to roll them into smooth balls. Using the palm of your hands start rolling each scoop into a ball. The warmth of your hands will make it smooth.
Tip! Just like with the ice cream scooper, if your hands get sticky with the mixture, spray a little non stick spray to the palm of your hands and keep rolling away!
- Large food processor
- small ice cream scooper
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1 10 oz container of pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup water 1-2 tablespoons more if needed
- Add the dates, oats, chia seed, cashews, flax meal and honey into a large food processor.
- Pulse the mixture 8-10 times until the mixture is all chopped into small chunks. I like to leave larger bits too for texture.
- With the food processor running, pour the water through the feeding tube of the food processor. The mixture will become sticky almost immediately.
- Feel the mixture in your fingers and press together. If it sticks effortlessly, it is ready.
- Pour the mixture in to a bowl.
- Spray the small ice cream scooper with non stick spray.
- Scoop out the mixture one scoop at a time.
- Roll each scoop in your hands to form a smooth ball.
- They are ready to eat! If you prefer them firmer, just refrigerate for a little bit. Keep them refrigerated if you are not eating them right away.